Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Blade Runner: Theatrical Cut (1982)

Now, before I get jumped on by any Blade Runner fanboys with my review I want to make it clear that I am reviewing the theatrical cut of the movie. Apparently the directors cut does away with Harrison Ford's awful narration and includes a different ending that isn't quite as cheesy. I'm not reviewing the directors cut because I haven't seen the directors cut and it isn't streaming on Netflix. Now onto the review...

Blade Runner is a dystopian sci-fi movie set in 2019 Los Angeles. Geneticists have found a way to make 'replicants' that are essentially the same as human beings with a much shorter lifespan. The replicants are used as slave labor on other planets but some have escaped and are looking for revenge. Harrison Ford is a "blade runner" who specializes in killing these genetically perfect replicants.

The story is pretty cool and I love the setting and the ambiance. The supporting cast was really good. I thought the replicants were the perfect combination of creepy and sympathetic. My biggest beef with the movie? Harrison Ford sucked. Yea, I said it. Harrison Ford's performance blew chunks. Maybe at this stage in his career he didn't have the chops to play a grizzled cop but his performance was way below par. I love Harrison Ford so I found this really disappointing. The awful narration was part of it but even without it I'm pretty sure he still would have sucked. He was just really boring in this movie even though everyone else was pretty interesting. Maybe I'd change my mind if I saw the director's cut but as it stands I think this was just a pretty average sci-fi movie and a low point in Harrison Ford's awesome career.

Click here to add this movie to your queue.

The Standard 5:

Why is it in your queue? I like sci-fi and Harrison Ford so I thought it'd be a no-brainer.

Is it artsy? Nope.

Best thing about the movie? The replicants were pretty interesting characters.

What mood should I be in to watch this movie? Looking for a decent sci-fi flick.

What rating did you give it on Netflix? 3 Stars. 


1 comment:

  1. Everyone I know says I'd love this movie, but every time I start it, I get bored like 20 minutes in...

    ReplyDelete

SPOILER ALERT: Talking about the movie is encouraged in the comment section. Read at your own risk.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...