Tuesday, November 9, 2010

POPaganda: The Art & Crimes of Ron English (2004)

Do you like satire? Do you hate corporations? Do you like satire that sends a message to the evil corporations that are ruining our lives? Well then you're either Dale Gribble or someone who will enjoy this documentary (click here to add to your queue) on Ron English. Ron English is what the kids call a "guerrilla artist". What exactly does a guerrilla artist do you ask? Basically it means you're some dude in New York painting on buildings because you want to get enough recognition to sell out. Selling out is a bad thing you say? I say rents in New York are sky high and keeping your wife happy is even more expensive.

Ron English got famous for posting satirical looks at corporate marketing on billboards. Billboards that already had corporate marketing on them. I dig Ron English because he's been arrested a number of times for his art and I think that is pretty damned cool. Believe me if the cops ever come looking for me because of something I wrote over at Notes From Underground, I'm snitching on all of you. If you're interested in street art or sticking it to the man you should give this one a look.

The Standard 5:

Why is it in your queue? I'd like to say because I'm very interested in art, but look at the cover. We all know Marilyn Monroe with Mickey Mouse boobs is the real reason this is in my queue.

Is it artsy? Yes, it's street artsy.

Best thing about the movie? The messages on all the billboards he puts up, some of them are really good.

What mood should I be in to watch this movie? In a fight the powers that be kinda mood.

What rating did you give it on Netflix? 3 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment

SPOILER ALERT: Talking about the movie is encouraged in the comment section. Read at your own risk.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...