Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Elegy (2007)

Elegy (click here to add to your queue) is a story about an aging professor (Ben Kingsley) who has spent his life isolating himself from others and then falls for one of his students (Penelope Cruz). This is one of those movies (in my opinion anyway) in which the bottom just falls out towards the end. In the beginning I was pretty engaged and really enjoying it. Kingsley is a good actor and Penelope Cruz is insanely talented and drool-inducingly hot.

Penelope, if you're one of those actors that feels compelled to read absolutely everything written about everything they've ever been in and by chance stumbled across this little review I want you to know that you are electric and I'd marry you right now. Hell, I'd drink your bath water for a night alone with you.

I digress. Towards the end the movie gets really depressing. I knew it was going to get depressing based on what had already happened but still. It was well acted and all, but it just didn't feel compelling like the first half of the movie. The movie did explore some very interesting themes about sex, love, life and commitment. Oh, and that no matter how old we get men will always be idiots when it comes to women. With all that being said, it was decent movie with good acting but I just couldn't get into the second half.

The Standard 5:

Why is it in your queue? I'm in love with Penelope Cruz.

Is it artsy? Yea a bit, it's a movie with a message, although I'm not sure which message it was trying to emphasize.

Best thing about the movie? Penelope Cruz.

What mood should I be in to watch this movie? Feeling sad and not too concerned about remaining sad.

What rating did you give it on Netflix? 3 stars.

2 comments:

  1. really liked this movie. but knew she'd be dead by the end. aren't they always. but still, nice performance by gandhi. i mean, ben.

    ReplyDelete

SPOILER ALERT: Talking about the movie is encouraged in the comment section. Read at your own risk.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...