Sunday, February 13, 2011

The Kite Runner (2007)

For some reason whenever I read a really good book I have to watch the movie adaptation. I have no idea why, movies based off of books generally seem to suck. I read The Kite Runner a few years ago and I was thoroughly engrossed by the highly engaging story. If you've never read it, you should really give it a try. Great book. This is a movie review blog though, so how did the film version do? I'm glad to say that The Kite Runner might be the most faithful film representations of a book that I've ever seen.

The Kite Runner follows the life of an Afghan who did some regrettable things as a boy, fled to America when the Soviets invaded and  returned to make amends as a man when the Taliban were still in power. Everything about this movie was well done. The acting was good, the cinematography was top-notch and the story is incredible. While the plot takes place in front of an extraordinary backdrop, it is a very human tale of cowardice, courage, and redemption. I'm no Criey McCrierson, but I have to admit this one had me on the brink of tears a couple of times. All tales of redemption contain tragedy, but it also makes the story that much more powerful.

This is a wonderful movie and you really should give it a shot, just make sure you have tissues nearby.

To add this movie to your Netflix queue click here.

According to instantwatcher.com this movie is only available to stream for 16 more days! Watch before 3/1/11. 

The Standard 5:

Why is it in your queue? I loved the book.

Is it artsy? No.

Most memorable moment? The reading of the letter from Hassan really got me.

What mood should I be in to watch this movie? Wanting to watch a great movie that is very emotionally powerful.

What rating did you give it on Netflix? 5 Stars!


6 comments:

  1. I haven't read the book, but I'll probably see the movie and THEN read the book. I find that if I see the movie first, then I'm almost never disappointed and end up liking both the movie and the book. The book just fills in the holes that the film left (or we didn't know if left) and I like being able to picture the actors in their roles, even if they are not exactly as the author described them.

    I wish I had more time to watch movies. My queue is ridiculously huge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one is good enough to watch before or after.

    Yea, I think my queue is up to something like 350. It's addicting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I second the motion that people should give this movie a shot. I thought it was quite gripping.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not only did I just add this movie to my netflix queue, I also bought the book off of Amazon. I totally became a Cryie McCryerson during that damn trailer.

    Netflix should pay you to do this shit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes they should! And yea, it'll get the waterworks going. That's saying a lot considering I'm all macho and whatnot.

    ReplyDelete

SPOILER ALERT: Talking about the movie is encouraged in the comment section. Read at your own risk.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...