Thursday, December 15, 2011

Cat on a Hot Tin Roof (1958)


Warning: This movie is only supposed to be available for streaming until Jan. 1st. Act fast!

With Paul Newman and Elizabeth Taylor joining forces I think Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, hands down, wins the award for prettiest eyes in a movie. Taylor is smoking hot as the neglected wife who is completely desperate to get her husband into bed and Newman plays opposite her as a stubborn drunk who has given up on life. Somehow, I think only Paul Newman could play that role sexy. And yes, I am feeling very secure in my masculinity as I write this review.

Despite the bad southern accents (as twitterer @Tny8 pointed out, because being a Chicagoan I can't tell a bad one from an authentic one), I found myself getting all wrapped up in the drama of this movie. When I wasn't busy thinking about how bad I wanted Liz (yes, we're on a first name basis), I found myself relating to the troubles of Newman's character. I understand high expectations, and I understand not living up to them. Particularly now that my 30th birthday is just around the corner (same age as Newman's character). That sort of pressure can be hard to escape, it can be hard to find yourself, and I suppose it could make you even do something as insane as neglect a woman as foxey as Liz Taylor in her prime.

That sort of depression can only come from complexity. The complexity in this movie, and Newman's character, is born from his insanely dysfunctional family, the suicide of a best friend, and the pain and suffering young love can bring about. Over the course of the 24 hours portrayed in this movie Newman is able to work through his issues with his father (interesting performance from Burl Ives) and his wife. Were the answers satisfactory? I won't spoil that, but I will say that in life, they rarely are.


According to Netflix this movie will stop streaming on 1/1/12. Of course, sometimes they lie.

The Standard 5:

Why is it in your queue? Paul Newman and Elizabeth Taylor. Do I really need any other reason?

Is it artsy? No, but it is based on a Tennessee Williams play and my understanding is he was a bit of an artist with that sort of thing..

What stood out the most to you? Paul Newman gave a great performance, Taylor was f***** hot.

What mood should I be in to watch this movie? Looking for conflict and sizzle.

What rating did you give it on Netflix? 4 Stars.  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

SPOILER ALERT: Talking about the movie is encouraged in the comment section. Read at your own risk.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...