Thursday, December 1, 2011

Happenstance (2000)

Featuring: Audrey Tautou, Faudel. Director: Laurent Firode.

Warning: This movie is only supposed to be available for streaming until Dec. 31st. Act fast!

As some of you may know, I'm completely in love with Audrey Tautou. It leads me to watch movies I would never normally watch just to see those big brown eyes and that enchanting smile. Movies like Happenstance.

Now don't get me wrong, Happenstance isn't by any means a bad movie. It just isn't my kind of movie. This is  one of those movies with intersecting stories about romance that the French seem to be so good at making. That sort of movie must be rather hard make. You bounce around from character to character and nothing ever seems very cohesive. However, this director, Laurent Firode, pieced together enough interesting vignettes to keep me interested even if the overall story wasn't that compelling.

Sadly, that also means you only get so much Audrey Tautou and that was my biggest disappointment with this movie. Yes, the arc of the story centers around her but she wasn't on screen nearly enough for me to be satisfied. Then again, that's just my own strange crush thing and not something you should worry about. If you like movies like this and have already seen Paris, Je T'aime one too many times, then go ahead and give this one a try.


According to Netflix this movie will stop streaming on 12/31/11. Of course, sometimes they lie.

The Standard 5:

Why is it in your queue? I want to have Audrey Tautou's babies.

Is it artsy? Not really, but its sort of romantic and it is in French.

What stood out the most to you? The creepy guy that is always lying.

What mood should I be in to watch this movie? Wanting to show your girlfriend that you have a sensitive side.

What rating did you give it on Netflix? 3 Stars.

 Sorry, I couldn't find an English version of the trailer.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

SPOILER ALERT: Talking about the movie is encouraged in the comment section. Read at your own risk.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...