Friday, October 29, 2010

Let the Right One In (2008)

Featuring: Kare Hedebrant, Lina Leandersson. Director: Tomas Alfredson.

I've been disenchanted with vampire movies lately. Vampires used to make you feel uncomfortable. They used to make you get butterflies in your stomach because they were creepy, not because they were dreamy. Because of the recent Twilight-mania  I was hesitant to watch Let the Right One In, but I figured how can you have Halloween without the ultimate Halloween villain, the vampire?

This movie isn't about a high-school vampire with glittery skin. Instead it is a story about a child vampire and it follows all the traditional vampire rules. I don't know what it is but children (especially Swedish children) in horror movies just creep me out. This movie was different enough to keep me guessing and on the edge of the seat without straying from vampire lore and shows that it is still possible to make vampires compelling without completely changing the legends. The playground dynamic combined with violent blood-sucking give this one a unique vibe. Have a look... just not in the mirror.

Click here to add this movie to your Netflix queue.

The Standard 5:

Why is it in your queue? I've heard a lot of good things about the movie.

Is it artsy? No, but it is foreign, expect subtitles.

Best thing about the movie? It's a vampire movie that didn't make me feel like a teenage girl.

What mood should I be in to watch this movie? Lights out and late at night.

What rating did you give it on Netflix? 4 stars.  


No comments:

Post a Comment

SPOILER ALERT: Talking about the movie is encouraged in the comment section. Read at your own risk.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...