Monday, November 29, 2010

A Very Long Engagement (2004)

I think I was about a half hour into this movie before I realized I was completely in love with it. In the interest of objectivity I do need to confess that I am completely in love with Audrey Tautou so that may have something to do with it. She is a brilliant and uniquely beautiful young French actress whom I've been enchanted with since I first laid eyes on her in the movie Dirty Pretty Things. She is ridiculously charming and talented enough to carry a movie as she's done more than a few times.

This film is set just after WWI and Tautou's character is determined to find out what exactly happened to her fiance during the war. During her search she comes across a variety of interesting characters and their stories all intermingle and intersect in ways that always surprise and delight. There was never a dull moment during this movie because it seemed every few minutes something happened that shocked me, moved me, or made me smile. This movie had a great sense of humor, wonderful acting, just enough action and an interesting enough plot to keep me on the edge of my seat throughout. I very highly recommend this movie. Five Stars!

Click here to add this film to your queue.

The Standard 5:

Why is it in your queue? I want to marry Audrey Tautou.

Is it artsy? No, but it is in French, some may think it's artsy for that reason.

Best thing about the movie? All the smiles and surprises.

What mood should I be in to watch this movie? Ready to watch a very good film and willing to read subtitles.

What rating did you give it on Netflix? 5 Stars!



2 comments:

  1. I <3 this too, but I love everything Audrey Tautou does. Just watched He Loves Me/He Loves Me Not the other night. It's more in line with quirky Amelie than this, but very good too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That one's in my queue, I'll definitely get to it sooner or later.

    ReplyDelete

SPOILER ALERT: Talking about the movie is encouraged in the comment section. Read at your own risk.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...