Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Hubert Selby Jr.: It/ll Be Better Tomorrow (2006)


Warning: This movie is only supposed to be available for streaming until Dec. 1st. Act fast!

The purpose of every documentary is two-fold. First, a documentary is supposed to teach you about something you don't already know. Second, it is supposed to motivate you to do something about that subject. This documentary has educated me on the importance of Hubert Selby Jr. as an interesting figure in the history of American literature and it motivated me to order a copy of Last Exit to Brooklyn.

Selby had a pretty unique outlook on life, and while I haven't as of yet read his writing, he seems like the type of man I would respect. He was wild, intelligent, passionate and did things his own way. I can dig that. This isn't a documentary for everyone, but if you're a Selby fan, curious about the profession of writing, or just into people that see things differently, then this one just might be worth your time.


According to Netflix this movie will stop streaming on 12/1/11. Of course, sometimes they lie.

The Standard 5:

Why is it in your queue? I had heard of Selby before, but I never got around to reading him. I will remedy that now.

Is it artsy? It's about a not-too-artsy guy who spent his life making art.

What stood out the most to you? What a wild man this frail old man was in his younger days.

What mood should I be in to watch this movie? Looking to be inspired to write and find your own path.

What rating did you give it on Netflix? 3 Stars.

I couldn't find the trailer, so here is the entire documentary:


No comments:

Post a Comment

SPOILER ALERT: Talking about the movie is encouraged in the comment section. Read at your own risk.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...