Thursday, January 20, 2011

Inferno: The Making of The Expendables (2010)

I don't generally like watching "the making of" type of movies but I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed this one. If you haven't heard of it before The Expendables is a throwback to the old school action movies of the 80's and early 90's directed by Sylvester Stallone and stars pretty much every action star in the history of the universe. It's a lot of fun and I suggest you check it out. Make sure you watch it before you check out this documentary because it shows damn near every major scene from the movie being filmed.

Since 80's style action movies are one of my many guilty pleasures I've liked Stallone movies for a while and have been happy about about his recent career resurgence with The Expendables and the latest Rambo movie (sorry Rocky Balboa, wasn't digging you). That being said, my opinion of him as a person was pretty much that he was a roided out guy who blew shit up in movies. After watching Inferno, I have to admit I have a whole new respect for him as a person and as an artist.

Artist. Yea, I said it. I was blown away with his passion for creating this movie. He literally put his blood, sweat and tears into this film. It seems like every ten minutes this guy was heading back to the ER. Over the course of the filming he suffered a spinal injury, and tendons separated from the bone on two different occasions in his shoulder and leg. One of the risks of continuing filming was paralysis. Not only did this tough S.O.B. continue getting beat up in action scenes but he directed and pretty much wrote the movie on the fly.  If that isn't the passion of an artist I don't know what is. I highly recommend this movie to anyone who is interested in the film making process, because although he kept it simple, his improvisational style led to a movie that a lot of people enjoyed.

Click here to watch this movie.

Stops streaming on Netflix 2/1/11.

The Standard 5:

Why is it in your queue? I saw on some random website that this was interesting.

Is it artsy? No, but I have a new admiration for Stallone as a filmmaker and artist.

Best thing about the movie? The repeated visits to ER.

What mood should I be in to watch this movie? A little insight into the movie making process.

What rating did you give it on Netflix? 3 Stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment

SPOILER ALERT: Talking about the movie is encouraged in the comment section. Read at your own risk.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...