Monday, November 7, 2011

Abbott & Costello Meet the Mummy (1955)

Featuring: Bud Abbott, Lou Costello. Director: Charles Lamont.

I must be feeling nostalgic lately because as with yesterday's reminisces on classic monster movies, today I'm reviewing another type of movie that makes me think of being a kid. That kind of movie would be any movie featuring the classic comedy team of Abbott and Costello. When I was a kid, the only people in black and white that I found funny were The Three Stooges and Abbott and Costello. In fact, they still crack me up to this day.

As you could probably guess from the title, in this one the two buddies end up in Egypt with mummys walking about and scaring the pants off of our half-brained heroes. As with all Abbott and Costello flicks there is great comedic timing and some kick ass one-liners. Unfortunately, for me anyway, it wasn't as packed with laughs as some of the other movies they made. It might have been because I was on the tail end of an all day movie marathon when I watched it, but it just didn't seem to have the same comedic brilliance many of their other films did.

Don't get me wrong, there were still moments that made me laugh, there just weren't as many. A few times during the movie I wished I was watching Abbott & Costello Meet Frankenstein instead. If you're an Abbott and Costello fan you'll still enjoy this movie, but if you're just looking to dive into their catalog now I'd recommend starting with one of their other films.


According to Netflix this movie will stop streaming on 1/1/13. Of course, sometimes they lie.

The Standard 5:

Why is it in your queue? Abbott and Costello are one of the greatest comedic teams in film history.

Is it artsy? Nope, it's old time vaudeville style laughs.

What stood out the most to you? The chemistry between Abbott and Costello (as is to be expected).

What mood should I be in to watch this movie? Ready to laugh.

What rating did you give it on Netflix? 3 Stars. 


2 comments:

  1. I am right there with you. Enjoyable, but yes not nearly as great as A and C meet Frankenstein

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea, I really loved that one. Had my hopes a little too high for this one I think.

    ReplyDelete

SPOILER ALERT: Talking about the movie is encouraged in the comment section. Read at your own risk.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...