Sunday, November 6, 2011

Creature from the Black Lagoon: Special Edition (1954)


When it comes to horror movies, I've always had a soft spot for the classics. When I was little and it was around Halloween, my Dad would go to the video store and come back with titles like Dracula and The Mummy. Once we popped in the VHS tape and got the tracking adjusted as best we could, I would lay on the floor and get wrapped up in classic tales told by Bela Lugosi, Boris Karloff and the like.

I have to confess that until this year Creature from the Black Lagoon is the one classic monster movies I had never seen. Maybe, it was hard to find on VHS. Maybe my Dad didn't care for it, or maybe it was just because he's allergic to fish. Whatever the reason, I never had the opportunity to watch it until this Halloween and I'm glad I did.

Creature from the Black Lagoon tells the story of an archeological expedition that finds evidence of a mysterious creature never before observed by man. They end up following the trail to a lagoon deep in the jungle and discover a fish-like but humanoid type monster. As with most of the classic monster movies it is possible to develop a bit of sympathy for the monster. You can understand why he is doing what he is doing, but you also know that there is no choice but to fight him.

It's a shame I hadn't seen this one earlier because it does rank up there with the other classics. It has all the tension, the mystery and wonder of movies like The Wolf Man and Frankenstein. I'm just only getting to appreciate that now.


According to Netflix this movie will stop streaming on 1/1/13. Of course, sometimes they lie.

The Standard 5:

Why is it in your queue? It's the one classic monster movie that I've never seen.

Is it artsy? Nope.

What stood out the most to you? The underwater scenes were all well done. As would be expected.

What mood should I be in to watch this movie? Looking for old school thrills.

What rating did you give it on Netflix? 4 Stars. 


3 comments:

  1. It is hard to say that this movie is good, but it is kind of a delight to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll always have a soft spot for these kinds of films.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When you put is movie on Netflix I love black and white horror movies I want seen is movie

    ReplyDelete

SPOILER ALERT: Talking about the movie is encouraged in the comment section. Read at your own risk.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...